Assalam u ‘alaikum,
The hadith that I am sharing in this post is one of my favorites. It is one of those narrations that whenever you read them you get a good taste in your mouth and you want to act upon it somehow, immediately. It tells about seven categories of people who will get shade by Allah on the Day of Judgement.
I wanted to discuss each of the seven points but they are so beautiful and clear and complete that there is no point in explaining them further. The only thing I want to say is, imagine the Day when there will be no shade! Sun would be very very near us. There will be no trees, no shelter, no nothing! The Day would be 50,000 years long! It will be sweltering hot and everyone will be thirsty beyond imagination and so worried and alone. Read a bit about how that Day would be like in the post “Only Imagine” and then read this post further so that you can actually feel what a great blessing and relief it would be to get a shade on that Day! We do want to be from at least one of these seven people, don’t we?
Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, The Book of Adhaan, Hadith no. 660:
Narrated Abu Hurairah r.a: The Prophet s.a.w said, “Allah will give shade to seven, on the Day when there will be no shade but His. (These seven persons are:)
1. a just ruler,
2. a youth who has been brought up in the worship of Allah (i.e. worships Allah Alone sincerely from his childhood),
3. a man whose heart is attached to the mosques [i.e. who offers the five compulsory congregational Salaat (prayers) in the mosques],
4. two persons who love each other only for Allaah’s sake and they meet and part in Allaah’s cause only,
5. a man who refuses the call of a charming woman of noble birth for illegal sexual intercourse with her and says: I am afraid of Allaah,
6. a man who gives charitable gifts so secretly that his left hand does not know what his right hand has given (i.e. nobody knows how much he has given in charity), and
7. a person who remembers Allaah in seclusion and his eyes become flooded with tears.”
O Allah, the Merciful and Ever Loving! Please make us one of these and help us act on these points.